Every time a year draws to a close, people start saying something like “My, how time flies…”. Mostly, it is used in a slightly sniveling fashion – as if they might have missed something. I guess that´s why they show all those year-end retrospectives on TV. But then, they invite all these VIP and VEP (Very Exceptional People) – and at the end of the day, one´s own life might seem insignificant in comparison.
So in 2013, I´ve started to create my own personal year-end retrospectives to keep track of what really happened in the last 365 days. Ever since, I understand quite well where time went.
One year consists of 8760 hours!
- slept +2,400 hours (again, less than intended);
- worked some 1,850 hours in my main job for Bertelsmann (weekends and holidays etc. are subtracted already);
- travelled +110.000 km, visiting New York (several times), Boston, Philadelphia, and the San Francisco area, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, the South of France, and Lanzarote.
Speaking my Mind
- published 118 articles on Mappalicious;
- published 22 articles via LEAD digital (in German);
- published 4 articles on Fulfillment Daily and 2 via GoodNewsNetwork;
- written 5 articles for professional magazines;
- written 3 book chapters;
- written ??? social media posts (Are you kidding me?).
Anything else (interviews, citations etc. can be found here on Pinterest.
Working with People
- gave 25 speeches/keynotes. On that note, I have to say I was scared for the first time in a very long while before giving a talk. I gave a dinner speech on Positive Psychology for 50 CFOs at a conference. Me, being a non-finance guy, talking about a “fluffy” psychology topic, for these high-profile business leaders. But it worked out quite well;
- coached about 40 hours.
- bought a house and moved in in March;
- said “I love you” +365 times (not every day, but several times on some of the days);
- cuddled with my son approx. 300,000 times;
- read some 95 good-night stories (definitely not enough, please refer to kilometers travelled);
- had approx. 700 cappuccinos and 4.5 kg Chicken Tikka;
- been to 5 heavy metal concerts (not enough).
It´s been a good year…