I don´t know if it´s my age (…the 40s are clearly in sight…), or the fact that I will become a father for the second time over the upcoming weeks (Yeah…!), or if it´s just in the air anyway (I believe so…) – but my mind is preoccupied with the topic of meaning and purpose at work and in life in general most of the time.
If you also would like to dig deeper into that subject-matter: Here´s a neat book list for you. Some books are brand-new (e.g., Dan Pontefract´s) or haven’t even been published yet (as in the case of Emily Esfahani Smith´s, a fellow Penn Mappster), some have been published over the last two years (e.g., Aaron Hurst´s book), some are a bit older (e.g., Rick Warren´s bestseller), and with Mihály Csíkszentmihályi and Viktor Frankl I´ve also included some classics. Some books are based on solid science through and through (e.g., Vic Strecher), some are more self-help style (e.g. Marsha Beck), some are scholarly books (Dik et al.), most are clearly written for the layman.
Share and enjoy!
- Martha Beck: Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live
- Mihály Csíkszentmihályi: Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning
- Bryan Dik et al.: Purpose and Meaning in the Workplace
- Viktor Frankl: Man’s Search for Meaning
- Aaron Hurst: The Purpose Economy: How Your Desire for Impact, Personal Growth and Community Is Changing the World
- Dan Pontefract: The Purpose Effect: Building Meaning in Yourself, Your Role and Your Organization
- Emily Esfahani Smith: The Power of Meaning: Crafting a Life That Matters
- Victor Strecher: Life on Purpose: How Living for What Matters Most Changes Everything
- Dave & Wendy Ulrich: The Why of Work: How Great Leaders Build Abundant Organizations That Win
- Rick Warren: The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?